Monday, December 24, 2012

Accountability - What does it mean?

Accountability is a buzz word these days but what exactly does it mean?  For me it means taking responsibility for one's actions and inactions.  But how could you be held accountable for an "inaction" which means you didn't do anything.  Ahhhh, good point.  Here is why.  You see, inaction is a choice that you make whether consciously or unconsciously, so in effect it too is an action.  So, a more clear definition of "accountability" would be: responsibility for all your choices.  This way, your choice to act, charge forward, or to stand down, turn away, etc. is your responsibility for which you are accountable.

Why would a person choose inaction over action?  People make this judgment call everyday numerous times a day.  Perhaps you drive up on an accident and you see people standing beside their cars looking at damage and talking on their cell phones.  You quickly assess whether the situation seems to be under control or whether assistance is needed.  From that assessment, you determine whether to act or inact.  You either stop to give aid, call for police, fire or ambulance as may be needed (take action), or you drive on by believing there is nothing you need to do (inaction).

Another instance might be that you learn bad news will be coming to a friend or family member.  You make a choice whether to rush ahead and deliver this information, warning your friend or family member, or you choose to withhold that information, telling yourself it is not your place to tell them.  If you tell your friend or family member, perhaps it gives them the opportunity to be prepared to face the news when it is officially delivered and they thank you.  Or perhaps your friend or family member is angered that you would be so hurtful to run tell them this news, lashing out at the messenger.  Then again, if you choose inaction and do not tell, perhaps life goes on and none is the wiser that you knew ahead of time.  Or perhaps your friend or family member finds out that you knew and becomes hurt and/or angry that you didn't tell them.  They feel betrayed that you knew something that would impact their lives and you did nothing.  Choice -- action or inaction.

But how far does accountability go for one's choices? Your accountability ends when the accountability of another begins.  I can best explain that with the following story from my own life.

All choices have consequences whether it is an action or inaction.  Many years ago, nearly 30 now, I worked in an office that assisted injured workers.  One worker was in dire financial straits in danger of losing his only vehicle that him and his wife and two small daughters depended on.  A settlement check was pending and this gentleman was hoping desperately that the monies would come that day.  I checked the mail and the check had not come.  The man went away feeling very, very dejected and defeated.  He fully expected his car to be repossessed that day.  I checked the mail again later that day and found that all the mail had not been sorted earlier and the check had arrived afterall.  I was so happy to have this news that I called the gentleman and told him (action).  He was overjoyed.  He came rushing back into the office and collected the monies and indicated he was on his way to rectify his car payment situation.  I felt so good about my action.  Had I not called him (inaction), it would have been the whole weekend before he knew and he likely would have been carless come Monday.

Imagine my great horror when I arrived to work on Monday and found out that the man died 6 hours after I had called him.  He was so overjoyed that he had gone to celebrate by drinking with a friend. In drunkeness, the driver missed a curve and catapulted down an incline and rammed a tree killing both the driver and passenger instantly. I felt horrible and second guessed myself for years and years telling myself that had I not  called him (inaction), that he would not have had cause to drink in celebration on a Friday night and he would still be alive.  But these many years later, I know that I am only accountable for MY choices.  I did the right thing in letting him know the money had come in.  His choices after that were his own responsibility.  It was his choice to celebrate by drinking.  Had I not called him, then he likely would have chosen to drink in despair.  Therefore, I have concluded that he was destined to die that day but the real issue was, would  it be on a joyous note or one of despair.  My action allowed it to be on a joyous note.

Regarding his great concern of financially providing for his family, it is a sad irony that through his death, his family was well financially provided for until his young daughters were grown.

So yes, I had accountability for my choices in the above situation but my responsibility for those choices ended when responsibility for his choices began.

************************
Do you have something to share on this topic? Join my blog and post a comment! I look forward to hearing from you.


0 comments:

Search This Blog

Copyright 2012 by Rayven Michaels. Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive